Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Introduction



I have been an acupuncturist since 1997. I felt incredibly lucky that at a, relatively, young age I seemed to have found my thing. Then, after 8 years of acupuncture practice in the UK I felt an intense need for something different.
In 2005 I handed over my practice to a colleague, sold my house, threw everything up in the air and headed to India in the hope of finding a new way to work. I had absolutely no idea how, or indeed if, this might come about.



The intention of this blog is to record some of my experiences and thoughts since that time. On a journey that has taken me from my appointment book, desk and electric couch to a commute through razor wire and dug-outs, to multi-bed/chair/bench/mat/mud-floor acupuncture. To slum acupuncture, to slum best man, to slum gangsters are here you’d better run! Then, mostly, to having the absolute honour of sharing acupuncture and friendship with the residents and staff of a home for the victims of human trafficking in Mysore, India. From then on being known as “acupuncture brother”, “lazy brother” or “crazy brother”. To the privilige of being educated as to the true strength, compassion and forgiveness of women and children that have been let down time and time again. Finally, of constantly needing to re-evaluate my opinion on what it means to be of service and who is helping who.

3 comments:

  1. You've been on the right program for some time now, Mr. Cleere. You embraced bold change...such beauty in that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such an inspiration Sean - it was an honour to spend that small but very important piece of time working together. It will always remain with me. Carol Q

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sir, are awesome. Not many people have the courage to drop everything and venture into the unfamiliar. I hope to meet you in Mysore in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete